Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Oh Dear

Last night I started to read Pride and Prejudice again and I've discovered that in choosing to assume to identity of Mary Bennet I've sold myself a bit short. I knew she was an opinionated, hard working know-it-all. I had quite forgotten that Austen said she was like this because, unlike her four sisters, she was PLAIN.

PLAIN.

And, the implication is, that she thinks she would never catch a fella unless she could play concertos badly, discourse at length on erudite subjects and whatever else she does.

Poor Mary. I haven't read this book for many many years. I thought she worked so hard on her accomplishments because she wasn't a flirt. Instead, it looks like she's just a misguided uberflirt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home