Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Yawn

There's going to be an election in New South Wales on Saturday. I live in a safe seat so it doesn't matter whether I vote for the incumbent member or not. This meant that the only thing I could be interested in about the election is the vote for the upper house.

Last time (the first time I've voted here) I earnestly took the option to number all the boxes below the line rather than just each group. I did my research. I knew who about three quarters of the 60 candidates were and I knew how I felt about them.

This time, strangely enough, I can't even bring myself to care about that even though there are fewer candidates. As well as the major and minor parties, there are five groups without a name as well as one "ungrouped" group. I know one of the nameless groups is fighting against climate change. They probably would get a reasonably low number and a chance of my vote under normal circumstances but they were too slack to get registered as a party in time. This doesn't augur well for their professionalism. I mean, there are fixed parliamentary terms here. They've had four years to get organised - and ads in today's paper claiming they never wanted to be a party anyway just irritate me because they're not true. Twits.

I know people always choose nice sounding names so the cuddly horseriding party are just as likely to be religious fundamentalists as gun nuts and it'll take me too much effort to research this so I'm not voting for them. Besides, the only horses I get close enough to touch these days have teenage police officers sitting on them as they try to control the way I cross roads after leaving sporting events.

And our Dawn Fraser is running. How sweet. I wonder how many votes she'll get because people know her name.

We have to be somewhere at 9 on Saturday so I'm going to get to a polling booth at 8:50. I mightn't even have time to number the boxes from 1 to some number over 50 I can't be bothered remembering. In fact, it's delightful to read that I only have to go up to 15 (but for 21 seats??? I don't understand.)

But for the first time since I started to vote, I can't be persuaded that it'll make any difference whatsoever to anything important.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home