Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Women's Weekly

I bought a copy of the latest Women's Weekly today.

This is the first time I've ever paid money for this magazine. My grandma used to subscribe to it in my childhood and I've always associated it with recipes for avocado dip and directions for ugly macreame projects. Not that I'm a magazine snob: I read Who magazine for about a decade but this just never seemed like the magazine for me.

I succumbed to buying in I was sucked in by the fllowing teaser:

'PATTI'S AMNESIA SHOCK 'I didn't recognise Bert!'"

To which I can only say: Well Patti, after his recent facelift, we don't really recognise him either!

But seriously, she had something called Transient Global Amnesia where she just lost her memory one night and acted vague and wasn't herself. It looked like a stroke except a CAT scan ruled this out and in a few days she was heaps better. This happened to my Mum three years ago. She just had a funny turn at the swimming pool and swam twice as far as she ever had. When she got out, she didn't recognise her best friend and then was uncharactistically rude to strangers. Luckily her friend took her to hospital. It was hugely distressing at the time - especially for my Dad. No-one could explain why it had happened. But the good news was that it hardly every recurs. And she's fine.

Unfortunately, now I have a 266 page magazine full of beauty tips I won't follow and articles illustrated with models who'll make me feel inadequate. One thing about the mag hasn't changed though: this month you have the opportunity to KNIT HARRY KEWELL'S JUMPER, which has to be the ugliest thing I've seen a man wear since um 1923.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home