Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Mental Health Day


So today I stayed home (with permission) to write an application for a job I don't really want so that next time I have to apply for current job I'll have had a bit more practice than last time when I had a brain spasm in the interview and my boss suggested I go on a job interview course. This was doubly humiliating because I'd already been doing the job for the year and had aced my interview the the first time(Performance management by advertising people's jobs mightn't SOUND particularly fair but they promise us that next time will be the last, Scouts honour.)

So in theory I'm trying to get some real world job interview experience. Trouble is I like my current job so I'm only applying for things a few steps up the ladder. Things like CEO of CocaCola Amatil or Managing Director Nine Network. Strangely enough, the phone hasn't exactly been running hot...

With this level of enthusiasm, is it any wonder that I read a book until three o'clock this afternoon? But it was a goodie! Paranoia, by Joseph Finder whom, to my shame, I'd never heard of before. If Dan Brown was this good, I wouldn't mind that half the people on the train were reading his books. I found Paranoia in the cupboard at work and I had low expectations about. I picked it up because the cover was pretty (red whith noirish illustration, not like the US edition) but then couldn't really put it down once I'd started. It's a fast paced and funny thriller about hightech corporations and industrial espionage.

But no wonder Finder's good: it says in the back that his brother is a managing editor at the New Yorker. Goodness, I'm impressed by that for some obscure literary pretentious reason. Maybe they talked about the use of semi-colons at the dinner table. Bet Dan Brown's family didn't. Not that I care or anything....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home