Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw


I was a bit busy at work last week.* In the middle of this, I realised my Dad's birthday and Father's Day would happen when my parents were on the hugely exciting trip to Canada and Alaska they've been planning for months. I asked Dad whether he wanted a present to take with him or he could wait to ahve something to look forward to when he came back. Of COURSE he wanted to take one with him which meant I had to post something by Thursday if he was going to get it before leaving on Saturday. To be on the safe side with Australia Post, on Wednesday I skived off from hugely busy day to LEAVE the office for long enough to post two really well-written, educational and helpful books about Canada and Alaska. (I also sent one about exploring Newfoundland that was less useful because it turned out they were only going to the West Coast and I should have paid more attention to either their itinerary or the map.**)

One of them was Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw by Will Ferguson who seems to be a national treasure over there. It's a collection of articles from his travels to different provinces of Canada where he has adventures and intersperses them with his convoluted family history and ACTUAL history. I wish I'd read it before going there instead of six months later.

Anyway, on Thursday night, Dad was really chuffed to have three big books to read on the plane to the US. By Friday lunchtime he was much less thrilled to realise he'd only have a choice between watching telly or looking out the window for 14 hours instead.

* As in hugely monumentally sleepless night fraught with worry busy for three solid days for the first time in two months so exceedingly out of practice.
** I can't actually swear that I realised that Newfoundland was on the East coast until Dad told me. I just thought "Canada, cold therefore relevant".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home