Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

First Tuesday Book Club

So the first First Tuesday Book Club started at 10:00 last night.

At 9:30 I still had 300 pages to go on the interminable Desmond Kale. There was no way I was going to finish it in time and I didn't know whether I should watch it in case someone spoiled the ending. But I did. Must say, while I've always been a fan of Jennifer Byrne I thought she was particularly good enthusing about books. And Jackie Weaver was revealed to be a mad reader too. Good Heavens!!

Sadly, however, the show turned into my mum's book club with a lot of woolly thinking and "I liked this book" comments of the sort you also find in these archives. Reassuringly, the panel said the last 100 pages of Desmond were really easy to read.

They also talked about American Psycho which Jennifer Byrne argued was a classic. (I read it years ago and loved the bits I could read with my eyes open.)
This gave the show an excuse to show clips from the movie with beauteous Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman. Delightfully, Jennifer Byrne even had a Patrick Bateman doll!

Unfortunately, the host of Gardening Australia took grave offence at having to read the book and someone else said "it would make an extremely good short story" without seeming to know or care that the sheer excess and repetition and baroque piling of detail on top of detail was the point.

Anyway, don't know if this show will work but good on you ABC for having an arts program aimed at my mum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home