Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Set in Stone

On Tuesday I was home sick, completely exhausted by the demands of actually doing a day's work on Monday and a slight cold. In between naps and The West Wing on tape I read another book by that English thriller writer I was talking about the other week,
Robert Goddard, called Set in Stone.

It was rather good for a nice light breezy read that didn't make you feel like you were wasting your time completely. This one played with the haunted house and spy fiction genres in a way that kept me guessing all the way to the end. What worked really well with this one as well in Days without Number is that Goddard anchors his improbable plots with a mass of detail. We know what highway the characters are driving on and what train they're catching. We know what sort of flowers grow in the garden. These sound like real people living in real places. It gives them a lot of credibility and stops me from being able to stop reading.

Good fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home