Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Time for something different


I've been quiet for a while because I took far far longer than I should have to limp through to the ponderous conclusion of Richard Powers'annoying book. (That's a "don't waste your time on this one" from me. No more to be said.)

Then I spent over a week trapped in one of those deadline induced states where I felt like all I was doing was working, eating, working, sleeping, working and more working. Mercifully, this is all SOMEONE ELSE'S problem now.

But then, on the week-end, I read the utterly delighful Pelagia and the White Bulldog by Boris Akunin. Who is a joy and a tonic should be bottled or at least sold in capsule form in the medication aisle of the supermarket. Thank you, USSR for collapsing and creating the conditions for a writer of pre-revolutionary nostalgia who won't be sent to
Siberia. (Can you tell I liked the book?)

This is the first of the "Sister Pelagia" mysteries and, tantalisingly, starts with the principal characters of the good nun and her Bishop (whose name I can't type) having a sterling reputation for detection. This leaves much scope for prequels as well as sequels! As a nun, Sister Pelagia is pretty inconspicuous and has various devious means of hunting clues in all levels of society. She also has some forward thinking ideas about the need for female education - they live in a poor province so she argues her pupils won't have dowries and should learn physical sport to make them more physically attractive.

Akunin loves the society he's created in a remote province on a certain "River" in the east of Europe. This province is a feudal never-never land with tolerance of religious minorities, bribery reduced to practically nothing and the church helping the spiritual welfare of the inhabitants. Into this sleepy world, intrudes a big city procurator, keen to stir up trouble and make a name for himself. Dananana!

And the cover art was lovely too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Mary: It is a truth universally acknowledged that a man in possession of a moderate fortune, or at least a few dollars to spend, shall spend it on books. I've just discovered Boris Akunin's Fandorin series and begun a discussion on my blog at http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/2006/11/paradise-tossed-murder-on-leviathan.html#links I noted especially your thanks to the U.S.S.R. for collapsing. The book I discussed, Murder on the Leviathan, has its own never-never-land aspect as well.
========================

Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

6:19 am  
Blogger hazelblackberry said...

You gave yourself time to eat AND sleep? Tch tch.

12:11 pm  
Blogger Mary Bennet said...

Well, I don't have a new CEO to impress so the usual standard of mediocrity is just fine.

It's ridiculous how much better I feel now the work crisis is over. During these phases I convince myself that every twinge is a tumour and that I'm going blind, deaf and senile.

Peter, I'll drop by later.

1:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home