Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Only picky because I care



I finished The Laments by George Hagen yesterday. I'd rescued it from a discount bin in a notoriously mercenary book chain because I loved the cover. And it is both very pretty and an extremely accurate reflection of the book's insides. (Good work, book designers!)

Curiously, even though I'd read the blurb, the title subconsciously reminded me of The Commitments and I half expected it to be about a Celtic musical group rather than a family with Lament as a surname.

According to Howard Lament, Laments have always travelled. That's his reasoning for uprooting the family at the first sign of problems where they're living at various times in South Africa, Rhodesia, Bahrain, England and the US. And they do have problems: from baby swapping and family tragedies to unpleasant neighbours and disappearing bosses.

But, despite their misfortunes, there's a lot of joy in the Laments' lives and Hagen has a charmingly light touch that never strays into mawkishness. I was very teary at the ending but glad at the same time. I also reaaly loved the way Hagen described the ups and downs of a marriage over a couple of decades as the partners grew and changed.

I did have two quibbles: a newborn is described as smiling delightedly at people which is high;y unlikely if not impossible (Winnie didn't do this for four weeks) and a boat is found abandoned "in the Coral Sea twentyt miles east of Brisbane" which I think would probably be a bayside subrban backyard. But these are tiny things realy.

The other day, before reading the Laments, I almost bought Hagen's next book Tom Bedlam which is all about long lost sublings and trying to create a family in the nineteenth and early twentieth century England and South Africa but I wasn't sure how the touchy-feely stuff would be overwhelmed by the grand historical themes. Now I think it'll be great.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Hungry Hungry Hypocrite said...

Just as a quick note on your mention of mercinary book sellers, I can remember when a clearance house opened in my little town a few years ago (before I'd moved back to the smokey hamlet of Adelaide) and almost put our local book shop out of business. The big clearance joint had every bali bombing auto-biog you could imagine, a few books on Boony and one on horses, but that was about it. Little book shop was trying to sell the real deal, and even had a book club. I still refuse to shop at that particular chain store to this day.

1:55 pm  
Blogger Mary Bennet said...

Good for you! YOu don't need to go there.

I try to avoid the chainstores but sometimes the siren call of exceedingly cheap books is too much for me to ignore and I find it really tragic when these shops remainder "good" books just because they're not being sold quickly enough.

8:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home