Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Denouement anyone?

In what would become a habit if I hadn't finished all the immediately available books now, I stayed up most of the night again reading Fortune of War, yet another in Partrick O'Brian's Captain Jack Aubrey series.

In this book which Jack faces a series of extremely unfortunate events involving shipwreck, capture and serious damage to his manly appearance.

When I got off the train this morming I had a mere six pages to go so I read them as I waited for the computer to boot up. It was in the midst of an incredibly exciting sea battle in which cannons were fired with deadly accuracy and people boarded the ship. The lives and loves of the central characters hung in the balance. I needed to know what would happen when the smoke cleared to everyone involved. Jack congratulated the captain on his victory and then

and then

and then

it just stopped.

How annoying! The dreaded cliffhanger! Just as well these books were written decades ago and all I have to do is ask nicely to borrow the next one in the series rather than waiting a year for him to write it.

Of course, this being the 21st century, you can't just be content with reading the books. You can also go here and learn all about the historical and nautical details in almost inifinite depth. Me? I'll be reading something else by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home