Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

literature - blergh

I was going to write an extremely literary post about the book I started to read on the train by Christa Wolf about a fictional encounter between two famous 19th century German writers I'd never heard of at a party in 1804.

On about the fifth page the man goes off on a reverie about the letters he wrote to people while abroad which he now recalled as a proxy for actually remembering the experience so he was relying on them being an actual record of his feelings but wasn't quite sure. Because he didn't want to communicate with any particular person such as his Beloved he used the same phrases in each of the letters he wrote. And I thought 'What's the shame in that? Two hundred years later, that's what we'd call a group email - or even a blog.'

I stopped reading it after that because it was dull, dull, dull.

What I did want to talk about today is a horrible discovery I made last night: sugarfree belgian chocolate easter eggs which I'd bought quickly without reading the label.

Not 'unsweetened' (which I could understand in a health shop patchouli oil sort of way) but 'sugar free'which means all the texture and creaminess (and calories??)of high milk solid and cocoa butter chocolate but with a horrible aftertaste of artificial sweeteners. Oh and in extremely fine print in six languages: 'excessive consumption may cause a laxative effect.' Not good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home