Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Thumping good read?



I read Sight Unseen another bestselling thriller by Robert Goddard the other day. It wasn't bad. There were no loose ends this time but I'm getting a bit too used to his formula. It's not a bad formula - I can just see where twists might be popping up and what ho there they are.

According to his publishers, Goddard won a prize called "Thumping Good Read" for his first novel. I wish we had such pisstaking names for prizes here and that someone would give one to Di Morrisey. I don't think I've ever seen such an enormous inferiority complex as she showed in a really long Good Week-end story (which I can't find on-line) this week-end about how university-educated black wearing writers don't take her seriously enough to invite her to proper writers' festivals even though she does lots of research and writes books with proper plots and everything.

To paraphrase Anthony Burgess, who also had the misfortune of selling lots of books, she should tell everyone she's too busy counting her money in one of her many well-appointed homes to care about what the academics think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home