Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Friday, April 13, 2007

On death and working


On death: We've been out gallivanting for the past four nights and I haven't seen any news. So I was really surprised and saddened to read in today's paper that Kurt Vonnegut had died.

Poor old Kurt. At your best, you were magnificent.

I remember when I was 18, a friend handed me Salughterhouse Five saying "YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK!!" And I was absolutely astounded that anyone could write a comedy about firebombing Dresden. At that stage I hated science fiction - even kinda sorta but not really science fiction - so I wouldn't have found his books on my own. And I still think about one of the (Cat's Cradle?) where some chemical (Ice-9??)can make all the water in the world freeze or something. And in one of his other books, there's an amazing room with a grand piano at the top of the Chrysler Building in New York. I really hope that was true.

On working: Lesson in life #502 - if you're at all unsure about whether or not to a dress shows too much cleavage for someone giving a serious and dull presentation to a roomful of people, and if you rely on your boyfriend's opinion that it's perfectly fine, don't be surprised if that roomful of people aren't looking at your face when you're talking. And next time, wear a camisole.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger hazelblackberry said...

Well, as long as they weren't all staring at the ceiling.

5:28 pm  
Blogger Mary Bennet said...

No... In fact a casual observer might have thought I'd done a good job of maintaining their interest in an extremely dull topic.

9:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home