Name:
Location: Sydney, Australia

I used to blog about books - until I got the complete Stargate boxed set.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Look and Learn, Dan Brown


On Friday I took a day off work to do about 300 household things and relax a bit. Unfortunately I only got to do about 15 of those those things because I couldn't put down Robert Goddard's .Days without Number until I'd finished it. Luckily I wasn't so far gone I couldn't prioritise those 300 things so the cat got fed and I remembered to eat.

This is an unashamed potboiler with a complicated plot, several deaths and many potential villains. The Knights Templar and Holy Grail have important walk-on roles in a multi (inter?) generational secret that must be kept hidden at all costs.

From that it may sound like, yawn, a poor imitation of the most famous work by Dan Brown which I refuse to type because I still haven't forgiven myself for reading it. There's even an important plot point at Rosslyn Chapel and much discussion about conspiracy theories. But no! It's not an imitation. It was probably published at about the same time. The main difference is that this is decently written with well drawn characters, lots of literary descriptions of landscape and credible human interaactions (up to a point of course - it wouldn't be a thriller without some silliness).

So if you feel like wasting a day on a book, this one isn't bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home